Dental implants offer many advantages over other methods of tooth replacement, and they should be considered by anyone in the Austin area looking for a permanent solution for missing teeth. Dental implants are a restorative dentistry technique that provides a more natural fit and appearance than other options and can be used to replace one or more missing natural teeth. Another advantage is that implants do not require that the body of adjacent teeth be reduced as bridges do. By preserving these nearby teeth, other potential dental problems can be avoided. Dental implants also preserve bone in the area surrounding the missing tooth or teeth. Other methods of tooth replacement do not stimulate the bone or prevent it from being lost. If you are interested in dental implants, contact our Austin-area office. We will discuss your implant dentistry options.
The Dental Implants Procedure
First, a small titanium post is precisely anchored into the patient’s jawbone. The post acts as the tooth’s root. Another titanium piece called an “abutment,” is then attached to this artificial root. After the implanted anchor has completely healed, a porcelain crown is then cemented atop the abutment. Only the crown is visible, as the implant looks, feels, and functions as a natural tooth.
What Can Be Done with Dental Implants?
At our Austin office, we use implant dentistry to restore complete smiles for patients with missing teeth. Dental implants look beautiful and feel natural, allowing the mouth and jaw to function naturally so that you can speak and chew with confidence. Dental implants can help repair almost anyone’s smile, whether natural teeth have been lost due to injury or disease.
Implants can replace:
- A single tooth – If you are missing a single tooth, a dental implant and porcelain restoration can replace it.
- Several teeth – Dental implant-supported bridges can replace several missing teeth. In this type of implant dentistry, all of your missing teeth will be replaced along with some of the roots for stability and support.
- All of your teeth – If you are missing all of your teeth, implant-supported dentures can replace them. Using a few titanium implants, full dentures can be snapped into place, giving you a full secure smile.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Dental implants create an attractive, natural-looking smile.
- Implants can be used to support dentures, holding the prosthesis securely in place while eating, speaking, and during other oral activities, but still, allow for easy self-removal for cleaning purposes.
- Dental implants are comfortable and feel like natural teeth.
- They are completely functional – restoring your ability to chew and talk.
- Implant dentistry patients don’t have to put up with the discomfort or restrictions of dentures or partials.
- No specialized care is required after the procedure. Oral hygiene for dental implants is the same as it is with natural teeth; brushing, flossing, and periodic checkups.
Dental Implant-supported Dentures
Dental implant-supported dentures can be an ideal solution for current denture-wearers. Dental implants can anchor full or partial removable dentures into place, providing greater security, retention, and comfort. Dental implant-supported dentures put less strain on surrounding teeth than do partial dentures. Partials are typically affixed to adjacent teeth with metal clasps. The stress inflicted onto the natural teeth by these attachments can lead to tooth decay or even tooth loss. Using dental implants to anchor partial dentures greatly reduces strain on the other teeth. In addition, patients do not have to deal with unsightly attachment clasps.
Traditional full dentures cause their own set of difficulties. Over time, denture-wearers suffer bone loss and a decrease in salivary flow. Both of these factors can undermine the integrity of the denture’s shape and function. Dental implants can provide support for the denture and prevent bone loss. If you are unhappy with your traditional full or partial dentures, contact our Portland-area office today and find out what implant dentistry can do for you.
Are Dental Implants – Available at Our Austin Area Office – Right for Me?
Implant dentistry has become one of the most common oral surgeries offered. Safe and proven to be successful, there are several factors used to determine whether the procedure is right for you. Patients considering dental implants should:
- Be in good overall health
- Have a strong jawbone
- Have healthy gums
- Remain committed to maintaining good oral hygiene
Contact Austin Specialists for Dental Implants
We encourage you to contact our Austin-area practice if you are interested in exploring how implant dentistry can give you a full, healthy smile. Dental implants are a safe and secure alternative to traditional methods of tooth replacement and our skilled dentists can help you determine whether you are a candidate. Arrange an implant dentistry consultation today to learn more.